I finally found my iPhone cable so I can download the photos which means I have a few to share. 🙂
You may remember that last week I planted out some potato onions and garlic in my front hugels as well as radishes, turnips, spinach and peas in 2 garden beds in the patch? The 2 garden beds were revitalised with this delicious soil ameliorant and the hugels mulched with it.
I had a helper out the front. Well, I had a strawberry magpie come out, look at the pumpkins, proclaim my mulch stinky (it’s not) and then disappear to eat all my strawberries. And I mean all. I am convinced some of the green ones were demolished too!
I had helpers with apple processing too.
The 2 older kids helped to pull off the woody branches and leaves and helped me fill the Thermomix bowls as I cycled through them.
The kids also helped with the pressing somewhat but I wasn’t sure how well the plastic tub would hold up under the strain of an 18kg wriggling bottom so I opted for my pressure canner filled with water instead. At least it didn’t wriggle. 😉
This juice was poured into clean wine bottles, lidded and left to ferment. It’s an experiment to see how it goes making cider. The left over apple pulp still held heaps of juice so I added some water and simmered it gently for a little while. The resulting juice is perfect for drinking without being as full on in taste and strength. I usually water down the kids juice anyway but this is perfect for us all. It had a quick run through the pressure canner (water bath for 10-15 minutes at 100°C) to seal the jars and pasteurise the juice. I have over 7 litres of this juice and likely similar amounts of the cidering juice. I also had another 2L in the fridge of the second run juice which I had no room int he canner for and we’ve been enjoying it. I noticed last night though that it appears to be a little fizzy and carrying a little more bite than it did when I made it. Fermentation already I guess. No more for the kids! 😉