I’ve been pretty quiet in the blogosphere and in real life too. Winter has hit me hard this year for some reason so I’ve curled up in a little ball in front of the heater, done my best to manage construction works around here, eaten a whole heap of all the wrong foods and avoided changing the batteries in the scales to find out just how much of said wrong foods I’ve eaten. 😉 At the moment I’m at the “I can face it but not sure I want to change it” stage of it all but as Spring arrives I am being a very proactive
not so little hippy and getting my seeds ready to plant in the garden. 🙂
I’ve had a few projects planned for the winter and I will write more about others soon but today I wanted to tell you that we are fully recovered. I spent yesterday focussing on recovering and thanks to the kids being angels and playing cushion jump all afternoon I was indeed able to focus on recovering.
The couches that is! 😉
A few years ago we replaced our VERY old reclining chairs and falling apart faux leather futon sofa with a big and wonderful couch set but when we moved up here we found that despite how much we loved the couches they were simply too big for our much smaller living space. We pulled them apart and have tried to reuse what we can of the timber frames etc. The cushions are in our spare room awaiting new covers to be used on our out-door setting we purchased a while back. We bought a lovely small wicker couch and lounge off eBay for the princely sum of $35 and have loved it, despite its rather threadbare cushion covers but those threadbare covers tore a few months back. 😦 We’ve worked around that with keeping the rips facing down but something had to be done. I hit up eBay again the other week and found some delicious dark chocolate upholstery corduroy of which I purchased and had delivered a length and yesterday the knitting bug wore off and the sewing but bit. 🙂
The first thing I needed was a pattern. Off came the old covers and I grabbed 3 of those covers to pull apart for pattern pieces. Once unpicked and put aside I took the perfectly working zips out of all the covers then set to work with the fabric. Orik was happily entertained playing a game on our tablet (a life saver when we need some peace although not quiet) and Jasper and Allegra were running up and down the hall throwing themselves onto the couch cushions stacked up there.
Pin on pattern piece, cut around, put aside. Repeat. I cut out a total of 18 pieces to cover the 6 cushions.
Dinner interrupted me at this point but once the kids were in bed I hit up the sewing. Covers sewn together, zips in, covers on. Late night. 😦 Not so good a late night as an early start is not a fun prospect but when I crawled into bed at 12:30am last night, I had 2 fully recovered couches and they look pretty schmick if you ask me. 🙂
I have several metres of fabric left which I will use to recover the cushions on my rocking chair to match the couches. The fabric was a set amount for sale. There will be enough left to put a few metres away if ever it is needed. 🙂
I’m really stoked with how well they’ve turned out and for $80 for the fabric including a delivery fee, the initial $35 plus fuel to pick them up for the couches, some time and a little electricity I consider that money very well spent. 😀